How can I check that a tutor is qualified?... 
Ask for a CV and look at their teaching qualifications and dates awarded. The tutor should have a Department for Education teaching registration number for general teaching. Check for specialist teacher training for dyslexia and the level of specialist training. Also ask the tutors experience of teaching dyslexic learners and how they keep up to date with their continuing professional development – as one tutor may have more relevant experience for a child needs than another. PATOSS is the name of an organisation which qualified teachers for specific learning difficulties can join. It has a register which you are able to access on line to find tutors and assessors. It also has detailed guidelines to enable you to check tutors are suitable for your needs. Click here to go to the PATOSS website. 
If you live in Scotland qualifications requirements may differ.To check your tutor meets these please contact  
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings